Normally, when we think of healthy lifestyles, diet and exercise come to mind. These are certainly important components, but they are not the end of the story. For seniors in particular, a holistic perspective on health is essential for overall well-being. With that in mind, the Sonoma County senior care experts at Home Care Assistance have listed the six elements of a healthy lifestyle no senior should go without.
- Nutrition – Health and nutrition go hand-in-hand. The body needs essential vitamins, minerals and micronutrients in the diet to supply its vital functions. For all-star nutrition, seniors should eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, as well as foods rich in fiber and antioxidants.
- Regular Exercise – Seniors also need exercise. Even walking a bit each day helps. Daily activity and exercise keeps muscles strong, blood circulation robust, and weight in a healthy range. It also significantly reduces the risk for chronic diseases.
- Sobriety – Many older adults enjoy having a drink here and there, but there are good reasons to keep one’s alcohol intake light. Aging bodies are less able to metabolize alcohol, so the consequences for safety and health can be more dramatic. The less alcohol seniors drink, the better off they are.
- Tobacco-Free – Smoking tobacco is unhealthy at any age, but for older adults, the risks are hefty. Seniors who smoke are more likely to struggle with asthma, obesity, and cancer. Quit smoking to breathe easier.
- Companionship – It may seem optional, but social interaction is an essential part of a healthy senior lifestyle. Seniors who get the companionship they need are more mentally alert and resilient in the face of physical challenges.
- Hygiene – As adults get older, activities that younger people take for granted, like bathing or brushing one’s teeth, can become more difficult to carry out. When seniors have issues with personal hygiene, families should intervene in support of both comfort and sanitation to promote a healthy lifestyle.
If your aging parent or loved one needs assistance with daily activities and personal care, or is in need of companionship, Home Care Assistance Sonoma County is here to help. While we offer hourly care services, we specialize in 24 hour home care in Sonoma County. With the support of our experienced and highly trained caregivers, seniors receive the level of care they need and families enjoy peace of mind knowing their loved one is in caring and professional hands.
To request free information or a complimentary consultation, call 707-843-4368 and speak to a friendly Care Manager today.